0n30 engines and cars

Discussion in 'On30 Forum' started by weaham@localnet, Jul 25, 2005.

1. weaham@localnet

weaham@localnet New Member

Thanks To All for All the info. Planning with all this info helps.
    I well not go to the hobby shop again. The prices are nuts anyway.

Next question. Looking on the INTERNET I am thinking about getting the Bachmann number 25218 Denver Rio Grande and West. I like the yellow paint job. I have seen on the INTERNET a set with the same looking engine in it. Are they the same engine that you can buy along? There is only about 60 dollars more for the set than buying just the engine along.The set giving you extra cars etc.

Thanks for any reply
    Harry:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
  2. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

Sets are not always all they are cracked up to be... Powerpacks are often a bare minimum required, cars come with truck mounted "horn-hook" couplers, and sometimes the track is brass - even today. I would investigate the set carefully. You may be further ahead spending the extra money to upgrade the engine, or putting it towards a brass version of the loco if you really want the detail.

3. hminky

hminky Member

The equipment in the On30 sets is the same as the seperate pieces. It puts the cars at a reasonalble price. They are not like the HO sets. The On30 cars have knuckle couplers.
  4. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

Thanks for the info... amazing how the approach differs between scales...

5. sumpter250

sumpter250 multiscale modelbuilder

Unless your local hobby shop has lost its desire to stay in business, the sets they carry will be quality sets. Yes, there are still truck mounted couplers, but they are rare these days. I haven't seen brass track in any of the sets we've had in stock.