00 gauge

DeaconF

May 2, 2003
Owen Sound Ontario Canada
Visit site
Here we go again. I have another question. Can someone tell me the diff. between OO scale and HO scale as it relates to Peco turnouts? I see some with OO on the box and some with HO/OO. I think it is just that in England and probably Australia they relate to OO and here we relate to HO but can they be interchanged as long as the code is compatilble? I also have seen a reference to HOm. (12mm) Whats up with that. I probably have too many questions but as soon as I get a digital camera you guys will see what you have helped me with.
thanks Frank

C

Catt

OO is British HO gauge.The scale is larger but the track gauge is the same.

HOm is narrowgauge HO.

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
When the Germans came out with 5/8" gauge track, the adopted scale was 3.5mm to the foot.
The British couldn't wrap their locomotives around the mechanisms at that scale, so they moved to 4mm to the foot, but kept the 5/8" track gauge (16.5mm). This wasn't too bad at the time, but when finer wheels and things became available, some modellers felt that the trains looked odd on 4'3" gauge track. They started by moving to 18mm and 18.2mm gauge (called EM) and about 25 years ago to 18.83mm gauge (S4 or P4).
Still, all the ready-to-run trains are in 16.5mm gauge.
All British references to OO mean 4mm scale, 16.5mm gauge.
Note 1: Some modellers are trying to model in HO gauge. (Are you still with us, Alan?)
Note 2: The Americans used to model OO scale with a 19mm track gauge. This effectively died out after WWII.
OO/HO means 16.5 mm gauge.

krokodil

Nov 20, 2003
Austria
www.railfilm.net
Re: HOe/HOm

Originally posted by 60103
HOm is supposed to be meter gauge track in HO scale.
HOe is "etriot" (narrow) and is (I think) HO scale on N gauge track.
These are both European terms.

In Europe the standard were slightly simplified, to avoid all thos stresses with different scales and tracks.

The H0m is really the equivalent of the meter gauge lines (with some variations cca from 900 mm to 1200 mm) and uses the TT scale tracks (12 mm) with the same or different geometry. The real narrow gauge track has different spacers , switches etc. but in hidden areas we can save lot of money with standard and cheaper TT tracks.

The same is for H0e, where the "e" is for even narrover tracks as above (between 600 - 800 mm) and uses in model the N gauge tracks (or the real narrow gauge tracks).

In H0 or bigger scales there is even the very narrow gauge called H0i or H0f which uses the Z scale track geometry.

:sleeping: :sleeping:

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
00 = 4mm to the foot and H0 = 3.5mm to the foot. all locos built in 00 or H0 will run on the same track, if you look at peco track it states H0/OO on it.

00= 4mm to 1ft, 1:76 scale 16.5mm gauge
HO = 3.5mm to 1ft, 1:87 scale runs on 16.5mm track also

N scale in British is 1:148
N scale in American/Continental is 1:160 both run on the same track width of 9mm

What a hell of a lot of fun this trackworking is.

Shamus

DeaconF

May 2, 2003
Owen Sound Ontario Canada
Visit site
OO gauge

I think I have it.
I now know what to say to my wife and what to say when I order my Peco turnouts. But seriously If I see 2 brand new Peco switches, One box says OO and the other says OO/HO which one will work or should I buy both. This thing all started when I saw that I may be able to buy Peco from England for less money including shipping than I can here in Canada. The problem is the imported boxes say OO gauge. If they are the same (concidering I have to replace about 30 turnouts) - well I'm not a banker.
thanks again Frank

Bill Stone

Apr 20, 2001
San Dimas, California, USA
Visit site
To add to the confusion, there was an American model railroad scale called OO. It was between HO and S in size, but I don't recall offhand whether it was the same as the brit 4 mm to the foot. If it was, the difference would have been that American OO had a true 4'8" (scale) track gauge.

American OO has declined since the 50s, but I believe there are still a few around. Some friends and I visited and operated a very nice, quite large, OO layout in Orange County, CA about 10 years ago. But I don't recall the owner's name.

And then there was TT scale. 1/10 inch to the foot. Even though N scale sort of wiped out TT, there are still a few TT modelers around.

BillS

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Yeah Bill, your right, it also ran on a slightly wider track width than the standard HO/00 of today, I think it was 18mm or around that.
Shamus

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
WESA - another model RR

And here is still another one which even doesn't have an abbreviation - it only uses the name of the (single) firm which produced it:

WESA was a Swiss model railroad, produced 1945-1964. They started with a scale of 1:110 (heaven knows why! :( ), so the track gauge was 13 mm, 1/110 of the standard gauge 1435 mm.

About 1950 the manufacturers had the idea to replace the odd modeling scales of 1:87, 1:76, 1:45 (European O scale!!) and the original WESA 1:110 by the easy-to-calculate scale of 1:100. This worked for a while, and lots of Swiss boys were proud to have a WESA at home. (I was one of them :D)

But then came TT and after that N scale - and WESA slowly fizzled out. Today I'd say that their marketing was bad. They made a mix of models without a clear line. Of course there were models of Swiss prototype rolling stock, but then they added ONE German steam engine (a 0-6-0 switcher), ONE French loco (the world speed record holder) ut without French cars, ONE Belgian freight car, and - would you believe it!!! - a complete UNION PACIFIC domeliner train with a gas turbine loco at the point. (Look at the pic below! :cool: )

In the '60s the plant switched to injection molding of small precision machine parts and dropped the model RR line. However, some fans bought up the tools and soldiered on, manufacturing the same WESA models over and over - perhaps with some repaints. I think, this went on, up to this day! They even re-issued the domeliner train in Amtrak colors - yeeeeccchh!

Ron

The models in the pic below are part of the probably complete collection of a Swiss WESA lover.

Attachments

• wesa7.jpg
    wesa7.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 210

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Hi Paul. Welcome to the Gauge.
I finally saw American OO about a year and a half ago, at The Train Depot in Hagerstown. He has a little Lionel OO in his museum.
Now, if we could convert you to true scale 18.83mm gauge ...